Indianapolis EMS is a division of Health and Hospital Corporation, with Eskenazi Health, providing critical and high quality care for residents and visitors of Marion County, Indiana.
Created in 2010 thanks to a partnership between the City of Indianapolis and Health and Hospital Corporation, Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services (IEMS) is the largest provider of emergency pre-hospital medical care in Indiana, responding to more than 100,000 911 calls annually. Indianapolis EMS strives to provide the best pre-hospital medical services to the community through the endless pursuit of excellence in patient-centered care, education, efficiency, efficacy, safety and quality of service. Indianapolis EMS serves the community not only through emergency care, but also through unique outreach programs and educational opportunities.
Indianapolis EMS Facts and Accomplishments:
- IEMS employees more than 300 EMT and paramedic providers and staff with 31 ALS ambulances on-duty at peak, serving 261 square miles of primary response area.
- IEMS transports to 26 hospitals, including four Level I Trauma Centers.
- IEMS has the only Highly Infectious Disease (HID) transport team and ambulance in Indiana.
- IEMS has provided EMS coverage for many special events, including Indiana Pacers games, all events at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, the Penrod Arts Fair, the Indianapolis 500, the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon and the IPL 500 Festival Parade. IEMS also collaborated with other public safety agencies to cover the 2012 Super Bowl festivities.
- IEMS has realized cost savings through efficiency, providing improved service through coordination between police, fire and EMS.
- IEMS has developed and implemented groundbreaking programs in performance metrics, field training and provider development to ensure the highest quality of care possible.
- IEMS medical direction is provided by the Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Indianapolis EMS Education Services has completed more than 86,000 hours of on-duty EMS education to maintain certifications for approximately 330 IEMS personnel and 1,200 Indianapolis Fire Department personnel. A total of 191 graduates have completed the Paramedic Science program since 2011 and received certification.